Lately my husband and I have been talking about Christmas traditions that we can begin for our family, things that will hold special meaning and value for our kids over the years of growing up. I think traditions are really important for children as they give them a strong sense of family identity and unity which is so important, especially as they get older!
One tradition that we are starting this year will be on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day is often a full, busy, fast paced day so we thought it would be nice to enjoy some quiet family time on Christmas Eve. The children will receive a gift of new pajamas and a special book on Christmas Eve and we will enjoy a storytime, snuggled up together, with some yummy treats! We will probably also include a Christmas movie once the kids are old enough to stay up for that! Now, when it came to the treats, I wanted something Christmassy but also healthy and I thought what better combo than peppermint (think candy canes!) and cacao (chocolate you don't have to feel guilty about eating and won't cause a sugar high in your kids!). So, this Christmas Eve we'll be serving healthy hot chocolate (with a peppermint twist for the parents!) and Peppermint + Cacao Bliss Balls. YUM! Here are the recipes I'll be using:
Healthy Hot Chocolate
Ingredients (per person)
1 Cup Milk
1/2 Tbsp Cacao
1/2 Tsp Honey
Peppermint Essential Oil
1. Warm milk gently over the stove, don't allow to reach boiling point.
2. Remove from heat and add Cacao and honey, stir until dissolved.
3. Serve the children's cups (unless you want them up all night!)
4. Then add 1 drop of peppermint essential oil for a delicious peppermint twist for the adults.
5. Serve and Enjoy!
Peppermint + Cacao Bliss Balls
This is my favourite bliss ball recipe!
3 ½ Cups of Raw Cashews
10 Medjool Dates (seeds removed)
2 Tbsp Cacao
1 Cup Desiccated Coconut
2 Tbsp Honey or Rice Malt Syrup
2 Tbsp Coconut Cream
5-8 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil *
Pinch of Pink Himalayan Salt
½ Tsp Natural Vanilla Extract (optional)
Extra Desiccated Coconut for coating.
*You can substitute this for other essential oils too; my favourites are Spearmint, Wild Orange or Lime.
1. Blend all ingredients except the essential oil together in your food processor until desired consistency.
2. Add drops of your chosen essential oil to taste and blend quickly to combine. If you’re unsure of amount, start with 5 drops and then add more if needed. I do 8-10 drops because I like the flavour to have a strong impact but you can do it with a more subtle flavour if that is your preference.
3. Roll into balls and coat with desiccated coconut.
4. Place in a sealed container (with baking paper between layers) and refrigerate for a few hours to set. Alternatively you can place them in your freezer for 15 minutes to set, if you are making them just before you need them.
5. Serve and enjoy!
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with lots of fun and memorable family time! If you have any special family traditions, i'd love to hear what they are so leave me a message on my Facebook page or Instagram!