This fresh, citrus oil is cold pressed from the rind and is sourced from Lemon orchards in Sicily, Italy. It typically takes 45 lemons to fill a 15ml bottle of essential oil! With many uses and benefits ranging from digestive support to maintaining clear airways, it is a multi-purpose oil and definitely one that I use and replace often! Lemon is a wonderful oil to take daily in water* to support your digestive system due to it being both hydrating and alkalising and its ability to assist the body to naturally break down petrochemicals. It is an antioxidant, a detoxifier and has purifying properties so is beneficial for cleansing surfaces as well as the body! Lemon essential oil is also a beautiful addition to main dishes and desserts alike.
SOME OF MY FAVOURITE LEMON OIL USES:
- Drink a drop of lemon in water in the morning to kick start your digestive system.
- Diffuse Lemon to create an uplifting and energizing environment. It has also been shown to help improve mood.
- Rub on soles of feet to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort and to boost immune system.
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water for a non-toxic cleanser for the surfaces around your home and kitchen. To make the solution stronger, add a little vinegar.
- Lemon oil makes a great furniture polish, simply add a few drops to olive oil to clean, protect and shine wood finishes.
- Use a cloth soaked in Lemon to preserve and protect your leather furniture or garments.
- Lemon is a great remedy to the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals
- Diffuse to neutralise odours and eliminate airborne threats.
- Add a drop of lemon to soda water for a delicious and healthy alternative to soft drink
- Take a drop of lemon on a teaspoon of honey to soothe an irritated throat.
- Use to help remove grime or sticky residue off surfaces or your hands.
It is important to note that Lemon, like most other citrus oils, is photosensitive and so it is best to keep out of direct sunlight for 12 hours after applying on your skin to avoid an increased sensitivity. I personally have never had increased sun sensitivity after using citrus oils, so it can differ from person to person, but is a good thing to be aware of.
Enjoy the refreshing and uplifting aroma of Lemon in your home!
Essential Mumma x
*Please see my blog on taking oils Internally and why I can only recommend doing so with doTERRA essential oils.