Last week we discussed applying essential oils topically as part one of our Using Essential Oil series and today, in Part 2, we are looking at how to use the oils aromatically.
One of the most common ways to use an essential oil aromatically is in a diffuser but it can also be done simply by smelling or breathing in the essential oil from the bottle or the palms of your hands. Aromatic use is an easy and effective way to lift your mood, eliminate odours or seasonal threats in the air, promote sleep and to support easy breathing...plus it makes your house smell divine, what’s not to love about that?!
When diffusing oils it is important to use a cold ultra-sonic diffuser. It has been common to use oil burners but in actual fact, when you heat an essential oil, the molecular structure is changed and you lose the therapeutic benefits so it isn’t an effective way to use them. Cold ultra-sonic diffusers are filled with water and a few drops of essential oil; the water is then vibrated to create a fine mist which is a really effective way to get the oils into the air in your living space.
The added benefit of cold ultra sonic diffusers for young families is that the mist and all parts of the diffuser remains cool to touch so there is no danger of little ones being burned or harmed.
Here’s how to use the doTERRA Petal Diffuser.
1. Fill the diffuser with filtered water up to the red line.
2. Add a few drops of essential oil/s. The amount you use will differ per the size of room, approx 2-4 in a bedroom or 8-10 in a large open space living area.
3. Plug it in, replace the lid and use the mist button to set it for the length of time you prefer, 1, 2 or 4 hours.
4. Use the Light button to turn the light on or off; it’s a lovely night light for kids but also handy that you can turn it off if you prefer no brightness when sleeping.
5. Enjoy your lovely scented home and sleep/breathe/live well!
Essential Mumma x