The third and final way to use essential oils that we are going to discuss in this series, is how to use essential oils is internally.
Before we go any further, I need to clarify a few things:
1. When discussing taking essential oils internally, I am exclusively referring to doTERRA essential oils. Because of their purity standards and their accountability to others in maintaining these standards, doTERRA are one of very few brands approved to be taken internally. I feel comfortable taking their oils internally but I cannot recommend the use of other essential oils, especially cheap ones that may contain pesticides, synthetic chemicals and/or fillers etc.
2. Also, not all plants/essential oils are suitable to be taken internally so please check the bottle and you will see ‘for internal use’ on the side of the doTERRA bottles that have been approved for safe internal use. Please also use caution with hot oils like Oregano and ensure to dilute in a carrier such as olive oil before taking internally if needed.
3. Please see a medical professional if you are on medication to check for any contradictions with the essential oils you want to take internally.
Now that we’ve got those important clarifications covered, let’s talk about how to use essential oils internally to nourish your body.
Some examples of how and why to take essential oils internally include:
- Add your drop of essential oil/s to an empty veggie capsule, top up with olive or almond oil, close the veggie cap and take like any other capsule to support your digestive or immune systems. Veggie Caps are available from doTERRA US or most health food stores.
- Add a drop to water/soda water for great flavour plus the individual benefits of the oil you use. My favourite ones in soda water are Grapefruit or Lime.
- Place a drop of Lime under your tongue or add a drop of Lemon to a teaspoon of honey to ease an irritated throat.
- Press a drop of Frankincense onto the roof of your mouth (using your thumb) to help ease head tension.
- Soak sliced apples in filtered water plus a drop of On Guard (Protective Blend) per apple. Sit for 20-30 mins, then drain off the water. This is a delicious, immune boosting snack and is also great for lunch boxes as the On Guard stops them from oxidising and going brown!
- Using essential oils internally is a wonderful way to support your body, but please do remember that they are very potent so less is more and caution is required.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this mini blog series, learning how to use essential oils topically, aromatically and internally. Join me next week as I look at how maintain your well being through the Winter season!