I LOVE to travel; the adventure of setting off to explore new places and cultures stirs up so much excitement and anticipation. But while I love to fly off to new destinations, I haven’t always found the actual flying part so easy! I find it hard to sleep on planes and feel a bit claustrophobic stuck in a small space on long flights. Plus I always seemed to get sick after flying and the jetlag that hits when you change time zones is not fun! And then I found essential oils! I’ve used essential oils the last few times I have flown and found it’s made a huge difference to making my journey so much more enjoyable as well as maintaining my health and energy while travelling!
I’m off to Melbourne for a quick trip this weekend and while I haven’t packed anything else yet, my oils are all already sorted!
Here’s what I pack in my hand luggage whenever I fly:
- Take On Guard Beadlets (or apply On Guard blend to soles of feet and down spine) from two days before the flight to boost your immune system. Take 1-2 as you board and then again as you arrive to maintain healthy immune function.
- Take or apply Frankincense before, during and after your flight.
- Make your own natural hand sanitiser using a recipe like this one https://www.theinspiredlittlepot.com.au/body/sanitising-gel/ and use often throughout your travels to keep germs at bay.
- Add Lemon essential oil to your water to help your body stay hydrated during your flight.
- If you are a nervous or anxious flyer apply Balance and Wild Orange before your flight and then apply/breathe in whenever you need further support throughout the flight
- You can add Vetiver into this blend if you experience high levels of anxious feelings.
- Apply Lavender, Frankincense and Cedarwood or Vetiver to promote deep, restful sleep while you fly.
- To stay awake: Take peppermint beadlets for a refreshing boost of energy and focus. Apply Wild Orange to the back of neck and wrists for a nice mood pick-me-up.
- To help you sleep: Apply Vetiver and Wild Orange (or the above sleep blend) on your feet and down your spine if you are having difficulty sleeping in your new time zone.
- Apply Digestzen or Peppermint and Ginger to your tummy if you get an unsettled tummy from the motion of travelling/flying.
- Keep Digestzen close by in case your digestive system is out of sorts and apply on your tummy or take a drop in your water if you feel any discomfort or eat something that does not agree with you.
- Ice Blue Blend (or the rub version) is perfect to massage into any spots that build up tension, stiffness or pain while travelling.
- Apply Basil and Tea Tree around your ear if you experience any occasional pain or discomfort when taking off or landing.
- Pre dilute all your oils for topical use with fractionated coconut oil and store in spray or roller bottles for easy use and to save time, effort and spillage while travelling.
- I have never had any issues getting through customs with essential oils. Just make sure your bottles/rollers/sprays are under the airport security size guidelines (100ml) and stored in a clip lock plastic bag as you go through customs. I then transfer the bottles into a padded travel case to protect them from breakage during the flight.
Safe travels and happy holidays!
Essential Mumma x