Becoming a new Mum or welcoming another baby into your brood is such an exciting and precious time! I remember being pregnant with Lara and dreaming about what she would look like, wondering what her little personality would be and looking forward to experiencing all the little everyday moments as a mum... Something I’d waited my whole life for! But in amongst all the excitement, I also spent moments wondering and worrying and planning how I would give this precious little one the best possible chance of a wonderful and healthy life.
Like any pregnant mother, I became a lot more deliberate about what food and nutrients I was putting into my body. I also became so much more aware of things like what ingredients were in products and was horrified to see how many toxic chemicals were in everyday baby products. How relieved I was to discover essential oils at this time in my life! It was such a blessing to have safe, natural and effective solutions on hand for my little one.
Here are some of my most used oils/blends during Lara’s first year of life!
- Frankincense = Apply to feet or back of neck for grounding or to promote recovery from birthing process.
- Myrrh = to support healing process of umbilical stump.
- Fennel = eases digestive discomfort.
- Lavender = to promote sleep.
- Lemon = diffuse to maintain clear airways and to boost immune system. Also great to diffuse when you have lots of visitors to see the baby, to purify the air and eliminate any air-born threats spreading.
It is important to note here that doTERRA essential oils are incredibly pure and potent, so you need to heavily dilute them for appropriate for use with babies. I personally used 1 drop of essential oil in 20-30mls of fractionated coconut oil when I needed to apply the oils topically to my newborn. I increased this to 1 drop to 10mls of FCO once she was about 6 months old or as I felt was appropriate.
- Tiny Teeth Discomfort = White Fir, Lavender, Clove and Frankincense. 1 drop of each in 30 mls of FCO, rubbed along (outside) jaw-line and behind the ears.
- Happy Baby = Balance + Wild Orange. Apply diluted in FCO down spine, on the back of neck and/or soles of feet.
- Promoting Sleep = Lavender, Cedarwood + Frankincense
- Nappy Rash = Lavender + Frankincense in raw Coconut Oil
- Ear Discomfort = Tea tree + Lavender. Apply diluted in FCO around (NOT in) ears and on soles of feet
- Immune Boost = Frankincense, Lemon, Tea Tree + Wild Orange
- Easy Air Vapour Stick = Natural Vicks replacement for respiratory discomfort.
Have you found any other essential oils that have been beneficial for your little one? I’d love to hear your experiences, please send me an email!
Essential Mumma x