Getting and staying active can be a challenge especially if you work full time or have little ones in tow, but both the short and long term benefits will always out weigh the effort it took to get moving!
How I prioritise active living:
- Choose to walk to the cafes & shop instead of drive (even with baby & toddler-it's good for them to get moving too!)
- Leave the pram behind and be ok with a slower paced outing.
- Have a good pair of shoes and a couple of staple clothing pieces that wear well so you're not feeling daggy while getting out and about.
- Pack morning tea and head to the beach, take a walk or a swim if weather permits.
- Find a free park gym class near you, get a gym membership or look into using your health fund for specifically tailored fitness services that will help strengthen you first.
- Go for an evening walk after work.
- Take a bike ride on the weekend.
- Get a work out buddy or go with your partner.
- Get inspired, put some pictures up on a Pinterest board or save a photo as your phone's home screen so when you need a bit of inspo to get moving it's not too far away.
- Just say yes in the moment. If you finish work early as soon as you get home before you sit down, put your shoes on and go for a walk or a run.
- Leave a bag of exercise clothes and a towel in your car so you can stop past the gym or pool (or beach/park/oval) on your way home.
- Join a sports team again and have the regular time commitment keep you going back.
- I find I am most diligent to go to group gym classes as they are at a designated time and once I'm there I can't slack off or leave early if I'm not 'feeling it'. It is good motivation and accountability in a sense.
- Drink plenty of water and eat well during the day so you feel like getting active. If you don't eat well or sleep well and if you're dehydrated the last thing your body will want to do is move!
- If you've got little ones, make sure they have good quality shoes so they are comfortable and able to walk and play out and about with you too.