It may sound fancy on a cafe menu but quinoa really should be a staple in everyone's pantry. It is easy to cook with, a good filler for soups, salads and curries and has a huge range of health benefits. We use it to make a meal out of left over meat and just throw in whatever veggies we have lying around. It is a great way to add fibre to a meal without gluten. Happy cooking!
To prepare quinoa make sure you rinse the grain well first to wash off its bitter coating. Bring 2 cups of water to boil and add 1 cup of quinoa. Reduce heat to low, and cook covered for 10-15 minutes, or until the water has absorbed and the quinoa is soft.
I really like quinoa as an addition to meals as it's quick and easy to cook and is a good alternative to bread, rice or potatoes and it helps me stay fuller for longer. It also a great source of protein!
I don't have any strict recipes for cooking with quinoa but here are my top uses:
- Add to a salad with left over steak or salmon for a lunch the next day.
- Add to a slow cooker meal to thicken the sauce and add extra goodness.
- Stir through some spinach and have with a soft boiled egg for lunch.
- Stir though veggie soup to add extra protein and help me stay fuller for longer.
- Add to a curry to boost protein and fibre.
- Serve as a bed to a salmon steak with lightly grilled cherry tomatoes, wilted spinach and pine nuts.