Much like Jessica Sepel's first book (The Healthy Life) her second, Living The Healthy Life is an absolute staple in our house. It can often be found open on our kitchen bench or on my bedside table, or outside on the couch, or inside on the couch, or in my bag when packing for holidays. This is again among the favourites for me and I just can't recommend it enough. If you like simplicity and are just looking for one good resource to guide you in health and nutrition-Jessica's books would be it!
Jessica Sepel is a Sydney based clinical nutritionist and has a huge following on her blog and social media accounts for good reason. Her balanced and holistic approach to health and wellbeing is incredible and I actually have never experienced advice in these areas in the way she provides it! Jessica teaches that everything is about moderation, and finding what works for you while making it very easy and practical to live a healthy life nutritionally, emotionally and physically.
As her second book, it is quite different in it's format to her first but it is as equally if not more informative, inspiring and empowering once you've been through her first book. Living The Healthy Life focusses on a series of 8-week plans that will holistically guide you on a journey to healing in a variety of spaces such as sleep, nutrition, energy, emotions, gut health, thyroid function, lifestyle, relationships and more. Using her balanced and holistic approach to health and nutrition, Jessica teaches the basics of nutrition and self management specifically for those particular topics.
As I have a general interest in health and nutrition I have found this book to be a brilliant resource for understanding a wide range of health issues that may often be healed through a clean and balanced approach, and the nutritional information required to assist in this process.
A few of my favourite things about Living The Healthy Life:
- It has taught me about to think and reflect on my struggle with food in the past and how to heal this and move forward.
- It has taught me how to recover long term from stress and adrenal fatigue of past busy seasons of life.
- It has taught me how to balance and increase my energy levels without caffeine.
- It has taught me how to quit feeling guilty around what I eat and drink.
- It has taught me that strong is better than skinny (which is baby season is a very important lesson to grasp & practice!)
- It has taught me to rest.
- It has taught me how food can heal and should heal things in life that I either think will just always be that way, or would seek medical advice over.
- It has taught me more about the nutritional value of specific food groups and how to incorporate or exclude them from my diet.
A few favourite recipes from Living The Healthy Life:
Since this book has come out I have been a bit busier with toddler life so haven't tried as many new recipes as I would like but these few are ones that I have and they are as usual brilliant and trustworthy!
- Choc-Almond Coconut Nice Cream
- Zucchini Mushroom Alfredo
- Tomato & Capsicum Soup
- Berry Breakfast Crumble
- Breakfast Cinnamon Oat Cookies
- Chia-Spiced Fig Smoothie
- Chia, Blueberry & Banana Breakfast Muffins
Jessica has also recently released an 8-week online program that guides people through an introduction to her approach of health and nutrition, providing recipes, coaching and holistic lifestyle advice to help heal broken and unhealthy areas of their lives when it comes to health and nutrition.
You can find Jessica online at www.jessicasepel.com or on Instagram at @jshealth.