This is one of my favourite uses for the Thermomix. Food Prep. It saves so much time and hassle!
The above photo is an example of the extra vegetables I regularly put in my mince mixes for dishes such as lasagne, shepherd pie, and sometimes Mexican too. This can also be done with other meats to make the inside for other pies too. Simply wash, peel and cut into chunks and chop.
Alternatively prep ingredients and freeze in meal portion sizes to save you doing this on the day.
I will often just grab whatever is in my fridge and chop it together.
FOOD PREP IDEAS
- Chop/Grate/Shred Veggies to add to meals such as mince mixes or pies while you're busy cooking the other parts. 5 Sec, Speed 5.
- Grate hard cheeses such as parmesan to freeze grated, ready to sprinkle in and on dishes. 10 Sec, Speed 9.
- Chop/Grate/Shred Veggies to freeze individually for later use. Such as shredded zucchini, broccoli, green beans etc. I then bag these and freeze ready to add to meals, soups, stock mixes, or things like fritters. 5 Sec, Speed 5.
- Grate specific ingredients for meals such as vegetable fritters and use straight away. Carrot and zucchini work well here.
- Blend fruit either individually or together and freeze in ice block trays to add to smoothies.
- Add water to spinach leaves and blend, freeze in ice block trays to add to smoothies later.
- Turn steaks or larger cuts of meat into mince and either use straight away or freeze for later use. This is great if you need mince for a meal and don't have any on hand. Thermomix recommends mincing meat part frozen but I've done it thawed and it works just as well. Cut the meat into 3-4cm chunks and mince 10 Sec, Speed 5.
- Make breadcrumbs from bread in your pantry and keep in an airtight jar ready for use.
- Make bulk spice mixes and store in air tight jars for later use, or curry pastes and stocks and keep in the portion sizes in the freezer (curry pastes) or fridge (stock).
Basically anything that you would normally chop finely or grate, you can do in the Thermomix instead of by hand. Very useful!